Maritime Yule Tide Concert
An annual concert of maritime songs, seasonal songs, and some holiday songs (the tides, the yule Yule Tide. Don't worry, our music is better than our jokes).
Enjoy performances by some of the Northwest's finest musicians, including HANK CRAMER, TOM RAWSON & ELLEN van der HOEVEN, and TLSea. Co-MCs CAPTAIN DANO QUINN and DAN ROBERTS.
Watch either in-person or online.
Hosted by The Whateverly Brothers and Maritime Folknet, and supported in part by an award from 4Culture.
- Hank Cramer. One of the best-loved folksingers in the American West. He is known for his booming bass voice, smooth picking on a vintage flat-top guitar, and a wry sense of humor. His repertoire is a mix of original, traditional, and contemporary folk songs. They tell the stories of cowboys, sailors, soldiers, miners, adventurers, and just plain drifters. That fits with his life story: he has been an underground miner, a professional soldier, shanty-man on a square-rigged sailing ship, wrangler for a high-country outfitter, and a world traveler. Those experiences make Hanks music ring with a special authenticity.
- Tom Rawson & Ellen van der Hoeven. This folk-singing duo from Vancouver BC (Ellen), and Orcas Island WA (Tom), come armed with banjo, mandolin, penny whistle, and other weapons of mass delight, Ellen and Tom love to strike up hootenanny fun on both sides of the 49th Parallel. Their humorous stories, user-friendly songs, and acoustic folk philosophy are guaranteed to have you singing along in no time and to leave you smiling. Tune up your vocal chords; you'll need em!
- TLSea. A multi-instrumental, full bore harmony, mostly maritime band. Backed by members of Emerald Fire, leader Lara Clark evokes the spirit of her mother, Teresa Morgan and family band The Cutters. TLSea embraces the ruckus of a good shanty as well as ballads of lost love with haunting harmonies. TLSea features Lara Clark on lead vocals, Kelley Kenison on Acoustic Guitar & vocals, Pamela Burdwell on Mandolin, Recorder, & vocals, and Deanna Kenison on Bass Guitar & vocals.
- Captain Dano Quinn. An award winning story teller, sea shanty singer, and champion liar. He draws on his 40 year career aboard Tall ships, yachts, and small cruise ships in Alaska and on the Columbia River to find or concoct the tales that entertain us and win him awards.
- Dan Roberts. Dan's repertoire spans centuries, and his voice spans three octaves. He is a veteran of the Victory at Sea chantey group, member of the Seattle Labor Chorus, as well as the bands Bold Horizon and The Whateverly Brothers. Dan was employed at the non-profit organization Northwest Seaport from 1997-2006, where he managed the music program and led ship tours, and was largely responsible for re-establishing the Northwest Seaport Chantey Sing in 2000.
MARITIME FOLKNET is a federal 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to preserving maritime culture and history, and encouraging people to explore and participate in that culture and history. We do this primarily through the music that highlights our boats and the people who work them, especially in the Pacific Northwest.
Woodland Park Methodist Church (View)
302 N 78th Street
Seattle, WA 98103
Online Access Information
People who purchase on-line tickets will receive a private video link via email on the day of the show. as well as a reminder a few days before to look for that email and link.
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|